Saturday, November 26, 2016

Chicago: 36 Shot, 4 dead on Thanksgiving weekend

Chicago: 36 Shot, 4 dead on Thanksgiving weekend

At least 36 people have been shot, four fatally, in attacks across the city over Thanksgiving weekend, according to Chicago Police.

The latest homicide happened about 2:15 a.m. Saturday when two gunmen opened fire outside a house party in the South Chicago neighborhood's 8800 block of South Exchange, authorities said. A 20-year-old man shot in the chest was pronounced dead at the scene. The Cook County medical examiner's office has not released his name.

Another 20-year-old man shot in the groin was taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, along with a 21-year-old man who was stabilized with an arm wound, police said. Additionally, a 25-year-old woman was taken to Stroger Hospital with a graze wound to the head, a 22-year-old man shot in the hand went to Trinity Hospital and a 23-year-old man shot in the arm went to the University of Chicago Medical Center. Their conditions were stabilized, police said.

Friday evening, a 16-year-old boy was slain in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side. Diego Alvarado heard gunfire and realized he'd been hit in the back, groin and arm about 6:40 p.m. near his home in the 4800 block of South Throop, authorities said. He died at Stroger at 7:32 p.m.

Five hours earlier, two people robbed 24-year-old Thomas Smith and then shot him in the abdomen Englewood's 7300 block of South Lowe shortly before 2 p.m., authorities said. Smith, of the 9600 block of South Dobson, died at Stroger at 4:30 p.m.

Shortly before 12:30 a.m. Friday, officers on patrol near Harrison and Central Park Avenue in the West Side Homan Square neighborhood heard gunfire and saw 37-year-old Cleotha Mitchell fatally shoot 35-year-old Jeffery Banks, authorities allege. The officers "engaged the offender" and shot him, according to police, who said Mitchell had shot a second person in the arm. That person's condition was stabilized at a hospital, while Mitchell and Banks were pronounced dead at the scene at 12:44 a.m.

The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the officers' use of force in that shooting, as well as that of a CPD sergeant who fatally shot a 19-year-old man in the back a night earlier when the sergeant said he saw the man point a gun at him twice during a West Englewood foot chase. As of Friday night, investigators had not found the weapon the sergeant claims he saw, and Kajuan Raye's family was planning to file a federal lawsuit.

The latest nonfatal shooting happened just after noon Saturday in the South Side Park Manor neighborhood. A 23-year-old man walked into St. Bernard Hospital at 12:01 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the leg, according to police. He was listed in good condition. He told investigators he was walking in the 6800 block of South State when a black sedan pulled up alongside him and a male inside fired several shots. A police source said the man is a documented gang member and officers at the scene believe his injury may have been self-inflicted.

At least 25 more people were wounded in other attacks between 7 p.m. Wednesday and 11:30 p.m. Friday.

Full Report

Labels: ,