Friday, December 30, 2016

One million moms protests transgender cartoon superhero

One million moms protests transgender cartoon superhero

The Australian-Canadian cartoon, marketed toward children between the ages of 2 and 11 years old, comes from the creative mind of Obie Scott Wade, who told Zap2it.com that the idea for the animated series was inspired by a cartoon from his youth, "Shazam!", and his general love for superheroes. Wade denies that the show pushes any particular agenda, other than to entertain kids.

"SheZow is not transgendered. He's a boy, his gender never changes, he's just trapped in a silly costume," Wade explained. He responded to claims that the cartoon is inappropriate for young viewers by adding, "I was a child when I thought of [the 'SheZow' idea]. I came up with that as a kid, so no, I don't [think it's inappropriate]."

Hub president and CEO Margaret Loesch told the LA Times that when she first heard about "SheZow" she was initially turned off.

"When I first heard about the show, my reaction was 'Are you out of your minds? Then I looked at it and I thought, 'This is just funny,'" said Loesch.

The Hub, launched in 2010 and co-owned by Discovery Communications and toy maker Hasbro, Inc., is hoping "SheZow" can bring the network top ratings and place it as a serious contender alongside networks like Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network — while One Million Moms and other protesters are hoping the show gets the axe.

Full Report

Labels: ,